GHD Woodhead has a long history of involvement in the planning and development of Perth’s central CBD rail station. As commissioned by the Public Transport Authority of Western Australia (PTA), GHD Woodhead developed a masterplan for Perth Station as part of the New Metrorail project.
A key project challenge included the introduction of a new underpass allowing easier and faster passenger transfers between Perth Station and Perth Underground. The future revitalisation of the Roe Street masterplan has also been considered with provision for a future new station entry point on Roe Street.
The Perth Station masterplan for the PTA includes:
- Five major infrastructure changes at the station to facilitate the Perth City Link project by the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority
- Introduction of a new pedestrian underpass
- Linking all platforms at the station
- Realignment of the Roe Street principal shared path
- Removal of the existing western overpass and timber footbridge
- Undergrounding of the Perth to Fremantle train lines between Perth Station and Milligan Street